2D animation programs, comparison and general chat

2D animation programs, comparison and general chat

Postby Adam Bullock » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:18 pm

Hi all,

I guess we're generally busy people, but I was hoping to share experiences with different programs, feed back on the interfaces, usability, speed, etc.  What generally works for you?  Here are a few of my thoughts:-

Flash
  Ubiquetous only in that it was there in the beginning.  Admittedly the version on my machine is massively out of date, but I just don't get on with it.  They tried to build something that could do everything - games, web design, animation, and it's really ended up being the jack of all trades, master of none.  Costs the bloody Earth, too.

Anime Studio (formerly Moho) - easily overlooked, due to its low price-tag and "entry-level" status, I personally swear by this bit of software.  Geared towards character animation, it is fast!  I really can't rave enough about how easy it is to use.  While flash animators are still faffing about with keyframes Anime Studio lets you just get on with the art.  Does exactly what it says on the tin.  Minor quibble:  poor compatibility.  Imports rasters fine but hopeless at vectors.  Not too much of a problem though as with a bit of practice the idiosyncratic drawing tools can produce very good results.

Toon Boom  Downloaded a trial.  Yuk.  Hundreds of pages of documentation stating the bleeding obvious which suddenly descend into "lost in translation" territory in the few paragraphs that actually explain how to do anything.  Maybe with a LOT of patience...

Swish  No, I'm not entirely sure what this is for, either.  Probably a decent cutout animation tool under there somewhere, but their website seems far more interested in promoting all the sub-powerpoint "effects".  I thought we'd all got over being able to make text spin in about 1998?

Ad
Adam Bullock
Cardinal
Cardinal

{ SO_SELECT }

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Digg Digg Share on Delicious Delicious

Re: 2D animation programs, comparison and general chat

Postby tygerbug » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:51 pm

Glad you're getting on with Anime Studio! I like the program, though rendering times are very slow on my computer. Then again, most things are slow on this old thing. I suppose if you're drawing your own art with vectors rendering is much faster! That was my problem, rendering took so long it was hard to check whether my animation was looking right, and brief shots would take many, many do-overs.

I always did my mouth lip-sync in Final Cut Pro, editing video.

Look forward to seeing more from you soon  ... =D
http://orangecow.org
Use my WhoSprites for animated reconstructions of missing episodes - Join us!
http://orangecow.org/who-sprites2/1guide
tygerbug
Guardian
Guardian

Postby kkee9853 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:20 am

It is a very good and interesting for that.gclub
kkee9853
Companion
Companion

Postby romanze7 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:43 am